Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Andrew's Journal Day 3 (May 1st)

Day 3       May 1, 2009      Andrew:

            When I woke up I first began by working on cleaning our boots and shoes, which were absolutely covered in the thick mud that surrounds the house (it is the rainy season over here.)  Then I worked on planting more tomatoes with the girls and had my breakfast.  An old man came to the house complaining of a backache (Mary had to translate for us.)  We gave him tea, bread, and some Tylenol for his back for which he was extremely grateful.  These visits from needy people have come to be expected already in day 3 of my stay.  There is so much poverty and hunger in Bududa.  Everyone is in need of help.  After breakfast we went on two house visits.  First we went to a little boy Simon’s house who is enrolled in the school.  He lives deep in the mountain and we had to take many back trails to reach his home.  After helping his family we head to Elena’s home (1 of the 4 orphan girls in Mrs. Wybar’s program.)  We bring her grandfather, who is blind a radio and her grandmother, who is paralyzed on one side due to a recent heart issue, food for the family.  They could not be more appreciative and they make us stay for a while.  People in Bududa are so polite and they always insist that you come in whenever you stop by.  I pulled out 10 balloons I had brought and hand them out to each child.  They light up like it’s Christmas morning.  As we walk back, the curious children follow us, just happy to see white people.  Everyone here calls us Mezungas, which means white person, and they can’t help but smile when they see my strange face smiling at them.  When we arrive back I play soccer with the local children who all fight to be on the Mezungas team.  After the game I eat dinner then watch the watch a movie about Uganda called War Dance before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment