Thursday, May 14, 2009

Andrew's Journal Day 12

        Today I wake up and have breakfast at the Nile River Explorers.  Once we finish we meet our rafting instructor Zoe, who is a crazy redheaded Australian (today is going to be fun.)  When we arrive to the river we hop in the raft and the instructions begin.  After our training is completed we head out down the river.  Our first real rapid the boat flips immediately (the first of about 10 times I’m flung from the raft.)  I pop up thinking that it wasn’t bad at all and I’m ready to take on the rest of the Nile.  Then we hit the notorious class 5 rapid Silverback.  When we hit the rapid I am flung from the raft about 10 feet into the air straight over another rafter’s back.  As the current forces me under for what seems like an eternity I am sure I’m on my last breath.  Right as I feel I’m going to die I pop out of the water and gasp for breath.  Unfortunately for me a huge wave hits right then and instead of air I get a mouthful of the Nile.  I look back and it seems when I flew out I caught quite the ride because everyone else is about a mile behind (Zoe would later tell me that I had the craziest flip of the day.)  A rescue kayaker named Tony (who could have went to the Olympics were he not afraid of flying) comes and grabs me out of the water and I hang out to his kayak as we wait for the others. After about 10 more trips into rapids with such lovely names as Death Pit, The Widow Maker, and The Dead Dutchman we arrive in one piece surprisingly.  When we get back there is a huge BBQ waiting for us and after I stuff myself, I’m so exhausted I go straight to bed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment