Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bobby's Journal May 11,2009

Today we woke up took showers and went to breakfast.  Mrs. Wybar had already ordered breakfast for us, so when we went outside, we grabbed our food from the bar and brought it to the table where she was sitting.  After breakfast we grabbed our things and left.  When we walked out of the building piki-piki’s (motorcycle taxi’s) were lined up against the fence trying to get the next customer.  After arguing about the correct price and the muzungu price, we each hoped on a piki-piki and went to the bank, and then to the gathering spot for all of the matattoo’s.  If we didn’t already exceed the weight limit, my duffel bag didn’t help.  Sitting on the back of the piki-piki, I had my duffel bag slung over my shoulder.  Every time somebody passed us or we passed somebody, I was worried my bag would either hit them, or throw off our balance.  I remember we went over a bump and I literally came off of the back of the piki-piki for what felt like 10 seconds but in reality was less than a second.  When we got off the piki-piki’s, we began looking for a matattoo to take us to Kampala.  All of the matattoo’s were parked in a parking lot in sections: Kampala, Mbale, and other places they were traveling.  The sections weren’t clearly marked, so we walked around until we found one that was going to Kampala.  We were the first people to get to the matattoo, so I got a seat in the front.  I wasn’t sure if this was a good or a bad thing so I made a list in my head.  GOOD: amazing leg room, big seat, roll down window, and visibility.  BAD: what happens if there is an accident? I’m first.  I picked the leg room over the risk and had a nice comfortable breezy ride to Kampala.  We were close to Kampala, and the man sitting between me and the driver got off.  Now I was in heaven.  This was the best matattoo ride by far.  When we got to Kampala, we got off of the matattoo and walked to our hotel.  I didn’t realize how much I missed being in a city with actual streets, skyscrapers, electricity, and loads of people.  On the way to the hotel we passed a store with guitars in the window, so I knew I would be able to finally get my guitar strings.  When we checked into the hotel we went to our rooms, dropped our bags off, and went out to lunch.  We went to a place called Café Pap.  We ate American food and then went to the national theater to see if anything was playing at night.  Nothing was playing.  We then walked around the corner to the craft market.  Here all of the shops were right next to each other, and they sold the exact same things.  I got some gifts for my family, and we bought finger piano’s for BVI’s music class.  I went into one shop, not looking to buy anything but to listen to their music.  They were playing Akon (some American music).  After the craft market I bought guitar string, and then went back to the hotel to drop of our things.  We met up with Moses, the man who drove us from Entebbe to Bududa the first day, and went to Patrick Matsanga’s house.  Mr. Matsanga is the owner of the land that BVI is located on.  BVI and Mr. Matsanga are working on an agreement which is what we delivered to him.  From his house, you can see all 7 hills that Kampala is built on.  When we left, we went to a supermarket, and then out to dinner with one of Mrs. Wybar’s friends.  When we got back to the hotel, we took showers and went to bed.  The mosquito nets were all tangled up, so we tucked them into the foot of our beds, and then sprayed every inch of our room with bug spray. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment