Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Andrew's Journal Day 17

Today I woke up early and helped plant cabbage in the garden then had breakfast before heading down to the computer class.  We worked more with the cameras and helped all of the kids upload their pictures onto the computers.  They all thought it was funny to take pictures of us and upload those onto the computer.  Then we typed up two estimates for both a new cookhouse and classroom addition to the school.  It was interesting to see all of the things that go into the building.  Especially over here because everything is hand made and all of the construction and moving is manual.  After that I decided I wanted to do another house visit even though Barbara and Bobby would not be joining.  I walked about a half hour with the computer teacher (Richard) to Helen’s house to meet with her so she could lead me to the house we would be visiting.  After I met up with her we went to Titus’ house.  Titus is an older boy who goes to the school and both his mother and father have died so he is left with his stepmother.  In Bududa if you are left with a stepparent it is very tough and they very rarely treat their stepchildren with any respect.  Helen informed me that before they last visited and made the family change the situation if they wanted the school to support them at all, that Titus lived in a shed with the goats.  He developed a terrible rash from the conditions but thankfully Mrs. Wybar was able to make them remove the goats.  Helen told me that Titus couldn’t stand living there anymore though and is now living with his uncle, which isn’t a great deal better.  We talked with him for a little and it is clear that he is completely defeated.  He is not one of those children, like Rebecca, who always has a smile instead he looks and acts as if he’s given up on living.  He has no emotion and I have yet to see him smile.  He is a truly heartbreaking case and I could not feel worse for him.  The school could not afford to buy more food for this visit so I told Helen I would like to buy it myself.  She said that was wonderful but rather than go with Titus we should go with his brother who has left the uncle and moved into his own tiny shed right next to it.   We did this because if we gave it to Titus the uncle would make him give it up and Titus wouldn’t see the food.  This way the food went directly to Titus and his brother.  The brother was extremely grateful and so happy to have some one invested in his little brother.  When I got back I was very tired from the eventful day and after telling Mrs. Wybar about Titus I had dinner and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment