Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Andrew's Journal Day 15

Today we woke up, ate breakfast, and headed down to the school.  All of the Children of Peace were already down there and I was so tired from our long trip.  I decided I just wanted to teach and play with the little kids so they came up to the house.  We played with balloons that I blew up for literally an hour then sat on the porch as I read them a children’s story.  I gave them some snacks after and we worked on puzzles together.  The little kids loved it and I had so much fun with them.  After Children of Peace was done I went up to start getting dinner prepared.  First I wanted a chicken though and we had a local man (Robert) walk to the nearest town to buy us one.  When I get to the house I chopped lettuce out of the garden for a salad (no one in Africa ever eats salad.)  Then I chopped up carrots, onions, peppers, and roasted pine nuts for the salad.  I had purchased Thousand Island dressing in Kampala and was able to make an actual American salad.  Then Robert came back with the live chicken.  I had no idea how to kill and prepare the chicken but I had invited Robert for dinner and he offered to show me how.  I wanted to be the one who killed the chicken for my dinner and Robert showed me how to hold his neck as I cut its throat with our kitchen knife.  After I had completely cut its head off Robert held down the body and we were asking if it would still flop around (I had always heard it happens but was unsure if it was true.)  He explained that it would indeed and we told him to let it go to prove it.  The second he let it go it began fluttering all over the place and was going crazy for what seemed like a minute until it finally stopped.  It was amazing how calm Robert was about the whole situation and it shows how casual people in Bududa and other parts of Africa are with these things.  This is how they grew up and it’s all they know, so it makes sense that he would be so nonchalant about it.  Then we boiled water and plucked the feathers.  After the bird was plucked, I let Robert take over the preparing, seeing as every chicken I’ve ever cooked has been sliced and ready to go.  It was amazing how much of the chicken he put into boil.  They use every edible part and let nothing go to waste.  Then I boiled water for some pasta and made garlic bread.  After I finished making both of those, my dinner was complete and we sat down to eat.  I had invited three local boys who always come to hangout with us to join us for dinner.  I was very happy with how it turned out and I really liked the chicken, despite how tough it was.  Chicken over here is nothing like in America and has a very rough texture.  After dinner we all played card games and everyone had a great time before it was time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment