Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Andrew's Journal Day 18

Today was Saturday so the Children of Peace come on the truck, loaded full of kids.  We woke up early to eat breakfast and make it down there before they arrived so we could take pictures of all of them coming in.  Once everyone was in they had their assembly where they sing the Uganda and school anthem and Bobby and I sang our anthem.  I went and taught soccer with Max and we organized a game against the local kids.  We were up 2-0 but ended in a 2-2 tie.  I was able to get a lot of good pictures and all the kids loved to just look at the pictures on my screen.  It’s unbelievable to see how easily excited they are.  One little boy came up to me when I was taking pictures and tried to talk to me but didn’t speak any English.  After he realized I didn’t know what he was saying he still just stared.  I don’t think he’d ever seen a white person before because after staring for a good 10 minutes he touched my arm then his then my leg then his and then he rubbed my boots.  I was just laughing the whole time as he stared in awe at my white skin.  When Children of Peace was ending Mrs. Wybar told me that one of the orphans that she sponsors (Elena) was doing very poorly in her math.  In fact she had gotten a 3/100 on her national exam.  Mrs. Wybar knew that I was pretty good with math and asked if I wouldn’t mind tutoring her.  I know and like Elena a lot so of course I said yes.  I left on the truck, squeezed in with about 100 other kids and got off near Elena’s house with her.  I went to her house and had her give me all of her math tests and her math notes from this year.  After she gave me all of the materials I took a piki piki back to the house and began making practice problems for tomorrow.  Then we ate dinner, watched a movie, and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment