Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Andrew's Journal Day 2 (April 30th)

           Today I woke up to the sounds of chickens, goats, cows, and all of the people working outside.  Mary had already made breakfast so I ate real quick and headed out to the yard to do some work.  I began by helping four orphan girls who are in Mrs. Wybar’s program to weed the plot of land just outside of the house.  After we finished all of the weeding we began to transfer tomato seedlings from a small garden to the big plot.  Once these tomatoes grow they will be used to hopefully feed the children in the school.  After all the seedlings were planted I headed down to the school to meet George and Robert who are two of the heads who run the school.  I gave them a laptop I had brought from home, which I will be leaving here, and showed them how to work it.  Then we went to the market on the back of piki piki’s (similar to motorcycles.)   At the market we bought rain boots, watches, tomatoes, cabbage, beans, dodo, goat food, maize, a radio, cokes, and bread.  Two things stick out for me in the market.  The curious stares, which I meet with smiles, and the eagerness with which the people tried to sell their products.  Poverty is so great over here and everyone is trying to make money to feed their families and themselves.  When we got back we had lunch and I gave toys to 3 local children and played with them.  Then Mary and I went to go get eggs for tomorrow.  When we got back Mary made a Bududa style pizza.  This consisted of a pita covered by avocado, eggplant, tomato, peppers, and cheese.  I ended the night by teaching them a card game I played as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment