Thursday, May 14, 2009

Andrew's Journal Day 10

       We woke up today and headed down to the computer class again.  We spent most of the class helping Max, a fellow teacher, work out problems he was having on the computer.  Even the teachers take advantage of this computer class, as most of them are computer illiterate as well.  One girl in the class wanted me to play some American music and I was more than happy to oblige.  I ran and get my ipod and proceeded to play my favorite rap songs for her.  The class burst out into laughter as I sang every lyric and danced to the beat.  After my lunch at the school, which always consists of rice, beans, and cabbage, we head off to do three house visits.  The houses are an hour walk and its burning hot out, so I am more than relieved when we are able to hop on the back of a Pepsi truck and hitch a ride.  Sitting on bottles wasn’t particularly comfortable but it sure beats walking in the sun.  All the kids run out to watch the mezungas riding on the back of the truck, amazed at the sight.  The driver was so happy to talk to Americans that he gave us free posters and a hat.  The girl isn’t home for our first visit but her grandmother who is her sole caretaker is about 100 and can’t even walk.  I don’t see how she can possibly look after her.  Our next visit is to a very cute little girl from the school (Cassava), who is both shy and happy to see us.  After giving her a few toys we head to Charles’ house.  I crack up as we see him wearing a Mt. Airy Pirates baseball shirt, which Mrs. Wybar has clearly given him.  After we get home and have dinner I go straight to bed.  It was a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment